Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Wild Wild West: Na Pali Coast

Arguably the most beautiful stretch of land in all of the Hawaiian Islands, the Na Pali Coastline offers absolutely breathtaking views and is completely inaccessible from any roads. If you want to see the beautiful landscape you have two options- boat or hike. I have never had the courage or endurance to test my ability to hike through the Na Pali coastline and as long as there are boat tours that give me a similar experience, I am going to opt for the option that won't wreak havoc on my lumbar spine.

With the exception of one year, I have found myself boarding a catamaran in Port Allen. There are a couple of companies that offer tours of the Na Pali Coast but I tried Captain Andy's once and haven't strayed from their amazing tour since. There are multiple tours available depending on what type of adventure you are looking for that vary in price: a dinner cruise, a BBQ and snorkel, a tour of the caves in a raft, or a trip up the coast on a catamaran followed by snorkeling and a picnic lunch. I fell in love with the latter. On the ride up the coast, you can see turtles swimming in the ocean or a pod of dolphins swimming alongside the boat. On one of the snorkeling trips, we encountered a massive sea turtle in the waters which is difficult to describe as the difference between seeing a turtle in the water from a distance is one thing while having one zip past you is indescribably beautiful.

Captain Andy's is located at 4353 Waialo Road in Eleele at Port Allen. Take Hawaii Route 50/Kaumualii Highway and turn at Waialo Road (there's a McDonald's at the stop light).

Na Pali Coast Tour

Inflatable Tour of the Na Pali Coast 

No comments:

Post a Comment